Saturday, November 25, 2006

thanksgiving

This year, I was fortunate to get to attend Thanksgiving with an American family - well, I will correct myself, Indo-American family. Bal-n-Val (from Carnegie Mellon) have been great friends and they invited me for the Thanksgiving dinner. The decoration and the efforts put in by the couple was admirable!

Darn-it-car-battery failed in the afternoon while I was in ShadySide on Thanksgivings. I was scheduled to go to the temple before the dinner event. Thanks to Bal who came to my rescue and picked me up from Squirrel Hill.

In contrast with last year's dishes, and thanks to Val that the meals were a vegetarian's delight !!! Tofurky - yummmmmmmmmy....... deliiiiciiiiiious ...I asked for the seasoning and I have to pick that one from Williams Sonoma. Bal tasted it and mentioned that there was barely any difference between the Turkey and the Tofurky - (I think I got a perfect substitute then). I have all the leftovers which will continue with me till Sunday.

To share with my readers, I took a picture of the sight at the table (above). The family sat around the table and we had a small prayer before we could start.

Post-dinner, we sat reading the ads in the handouts and I made a quick shopping list. The hosts were kind enough to offer me a shelter for the night and also, Bal was awesomely hospitable to take me back to my home for a quick pick up of my stuff for the stayover. I cannot thank the hosts enough !

Next day, early morning I woke up for the shopping - yay ! By the time we reached BestBuy, I had anticipated that the lines must've disappeared but Best Buy's line was fairly long and hence, I moved on to Circuit City. I got some stuff at Circuit City and was standing in the 90 minute atrocious queue for checking out the items. I should've made an intelligent choice to opt out of the queue without checking out. It wasn't worth it....anyways, my items are missing when I came back - I am unable to recall if I didn't get them inside the door and left them on my porch.

Later, I met Myers & Co (Val n her family) at Target and I bought some stuff there as per my list. We moved to Kohl's and I felt - daayuuumm, I should've come here before :) Kohl's had quite a bit of trendy variety - no wonder it was so crowded. I got quite a bit of stuff there. Following Kohls', we drove to downtown to get a shot at Saks and Macy's. I got a Nautica topcoat which Val had pointed out last night - great deal ! Thus, the theme this year undoubtedly was building up my winter collection unlike last year which was building up my shirts' section. Val's sister got her Louis Vuitton bag at Saks/Macy's. Right after, I got my John Ashford gift tie :) - Thanks !!!

Finally, we went to an Italian place for lunch - Girasole in Shadyside. They had delicious dishes and entremets out there. Salad was great - pretty different from the Olive Garden regular I've got used to ! We went around in some shops for checking out the stuff in ShadySide shops.

The day ended when I was dropped out at my place ( I was shopped out !) - this reminded me of my Dusherra days in Mumbai till 2002 .....they were just like this - having lunches and dinners with family and running around the town with family for shopping - this one will be a memorable Thanksgiving day for me !

No comments: