Saturday, November 18, 2006

opera

Last night, I went through a rollercoaster of emotions.

Romeo n Juliet was the one I watched at Pittsburgh Opera. Balcony seats were subsidized for CMU students.

I wasn't a great fan of this production - however, they did well. Juliet role was played by a good actress - however, Romeo's character could've been played better. Juliet's father wasn't as effective as well. Other Montagues were just fine.

We (myself and 4 other CMU colleagues) arrived at the opera by 8:10 pm - Delay can be attributed to parking spots being unavailable in downtown due to the lightshow. huhh- talk about parking issues in Pgh downtown.

After Doc's Place party for Heinz school, we drove down to downtown. I had wrong directions but fortunately, someone knew about it. I parked the car at a spot which I didn't note down and then we were running (all dressed up) around downtown to find the Opera - finally, when we reached there - the show had just started - so, didn't miss much.

While the show was on, I reminsced the song by Mary Chapin Carpenter - I'll never fall in love again. At the same time, the recently read book's thoughts flashed in front of my eyes; those of the book- The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck.

As Romeo starts falling for Juliet and she says to him - if this is a lighthearted love, then let me remain in my grief and tears and he need not meet her again. Juliet questions his motivations in a style that reminds me of the OST by Bryan Ferry - Will you love me tomorrow?

When cruel sorrow of separation hits them, both are in despair. Again, the Hindi song of Wo Lamhe started running in my head - I should get it out of my CD tracks in my car. Bee, are you reading this?

The book mentioned above mentions falling in love as dissolution of ego-boundaries. After a while, when love subsides (what I call as - when honeymoon period is over....after say 5-10 years) ego boundaries emerge again. She may not like his friends and/or vice-versa. He may want to make love but she may not and/or vice-versa at different points in time.

While searching for partner, it has to be based more than that of perishable attributes. It has to be based on whether the partners are leading to each other's spiritual growth. My Dronacharya-type guru also recently left his long-lived marriage and married another lady - yea, I am talking about Warren Buffet - the sage from Omaha.

Bossa Nova - a nice lounge recommended by a fellow CMU person was a nice place to explore after the opera. While heading back home, I had to search my car- as I had forgotten where I parked it. On the way back home, a colleague had to check out India Garden; unfortunately, it was just closed by 1:15 am, when we reached there.

Life's a bittersweet symphony !
I should not watch tragedies after all.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
It is not worth $17 :-P

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In my experience, I've always been disappointed by Pittsburgh Opera tenors. Well, younger tenors. When they cast older tenors, they usually find good ones. The younger ones never seem to have a confident stage presence... and their voices are weak.

You should go to see Magic Flute next year. It looks like they're going to stage an opulent production, if the picture is accurate on their site. It'll be a real treat!