Thursday, June 15, 2006

YASC !

YASC ?
wazzat ?


Yet Another Superb Class.


Well, the Consulting and Conflict Management class keeps on getting better and better.
The first one was a role play for my team v/s another team.

Roleplay was such that myself and Arun were investors and Gopi was the VP-Marketing.
VP wants to open a business in emerging markets where she would have to give corruption. I had to play the resistant part(blue team) since as an investor I didn't want my name at stake.

Red Team comprising of Ernie (snap on left) - an entrepreneur in real life - was playing the entrepreneur team of a startup who is trying to solve the conflict between VP Marketing and investor. One part I saw was he found giving away equity as a way to attract resources...be it ppl or be it money guys. (This is something which Paul had asked to avoid and I lost a mark in Entrepreneurism midterm on that...debt should be acquired before giving up equity)

Now, Ernie and his team was trying hard to resolve this conflict.

Conflict nature - used all the dirty tricks from "Getting to Yes". Prof complimented me for this roleplay.

For me, the Resistance meter hit - 90.
Mission accomplished ! After all, my role was to play the hardbargainer with dirty tricks....trying to crush out the adversarial party. The entrepreneurs were literally with me ...creating a win-lose situation in the conflict between investor and VP. anyways, it was all a case !

I wasn't as hard but I was rigged to 90 by a 40 on competition.
There was another team where they played cool and got a resistance meter reading of just 20. That was lack of roleplaying by their investors and VP marketing.

Ernie was the rational guy. Tony got emotional and Wilbur was the good guy.
They almost got us close to a win-win situation and hence, kudos to them.

btw, Amy and Allan played it well.




They had a fantastic strategy. Right at the outset Allan made positives clear to the conflicting parties (VP and investor). Ernie didn't agree that it would work in real life due to the apology which accompanied it. However, professor was happy to know a new technique ! It worked here...and he would try to research on where all it can work.




A superb deal was snatched by Yolanda (snap on right)!
Abhishek, herself and Amir were lined up for their team.
They got the deal snatched from the players (these were seasoned ppl with Tricia(she manages 21 men in GE) n other flex-time students with loadssa experience.
They offered them just 36k (substantially lower than 48k deal which they had to reach).

Yolanda spun a tale with "Fellowship" package for the new MBA hires who were to get a job at the startup for more money. Abhishek had offered them 19k ...he was trying to get them for free ! Ernie disclosed that he gets ppl free for his business at times by providing creative solutions as prof would put it "expanding the pie" !



Schedule is getting hectic day by day and time management has become key to survival.
My team (Arun and Gopi):
"bhai, stats assignment karna hai....jaane de !"


that reminds me of the terrible nervous pangs I got when I learnt that I had a quiz to be done by midnight and had just 1.5 hours to do it..of which 45 mins were for the test...hence, just 45 mins for preparation.


I was glad at the screen starting to work for me !
Finally, I could get it running for me !
btw, this is for displaying my name at the place I sit.

1 comment:

Anirban Kar said...

Nice thing dude ...Please keep up the good work!