Monday, January 08, 2007

winter break ends..

With the last week in the winter break, I want to blog the winter break experience. After the initial hedonism, I wanted to focus on family-time and health.

Bal, Val, and myself headed for a trip to Virginia beach in the week before Christmas to celebrate Christmas at Val's mom's place. On the trip, we once took an exit towards Williamsburg which has one of the oldest schools of US - College of William and Mary. On that night, we went for holiday lights at the beach front. The waiting line was quite long for the car-drive-thru but we were enjoying with christmas carols in the background. The best lightings were the ones towards the end - depicting the 12 days of Christmas.

Next day, myself and Val headed for the Virginia beach museum and I checked out some marine species out there. Touching a ray-fish with bare hands was the high point for that visit ! Later in the day, we forgot that the shops will get closed after 3:30 pm for Christmas eve and we were having difficulty finding a good place to eat. Finally, we got to eat at Val's favorite Mexican place. ....yummy salsa they had. The family spent the evening watching "walk the line." I watched it for the third time - but everytime I keep on finding something new in it. Well-made movie, I must say. I extended in the night to watch "Christmas with the Kranks."

On the day of Christmas, we all awaited the princess to come - Angelina - Val's niece. After she arrived later in the day, the gift exchange ritual started and undoubtedly the princess was the center of attention. I was in complete festive mood because the family provided me with such warmth, care, and hospitality. The gifts which Bal, Val, Val's mom and Val's sister gave me will go long way in helping a student like me :) Thank you for everything...it was so thoughtful of you guys!





When I went to bed that night, I had the glum feeling while thinking that this will all soon be over. However, I must say - I enjoyed every bit of it. Bal and Val have become like the bhaiyya and bhabhi I never had.

While we were returning back to Pittsburgh, I got to check out the downtown Va beach. Then we headed back - as we came - Bal driving all the way. IN between, we took a break at Tyson's corner - a bit before D.C. and Bal did some shopping there. Val ordered her Prada shoes on the phone to her Saks salesperson in downtown Pgh as we were not going to make it to Pgh by 7 pm in the evening.

We planned to hit the gym after coming back - unfortunately, gym was closed early that day. Val made nice pasta and beans (yummy thoe were - I got to get the seasonings recipe from her) and we watched a movie. Next day morning, I got up early to join Bal for the gym and then back to my routine I've been having.

The day before New Years was spent at their place as we worked towards getting down the tree which was put upstairs. Man, this tree was special - it had traditional ornaments and also, ornaments such as elephants - can you beat that? This year, she had 2 trees - one upstairs and one downstairs !

New Years was awesome - with friends at the Prive lounge. I did some shopping before heading for the New Year bash - bought some stuff for my younger bro during the after-Xmas sale. From 2nd Jan, I've been working on various projects (personal and professional) and this week the winter break ends - with good memories to treasure for long time to come :)




No comments: